Journals are Quality Certification Brand-Names

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 18:32:06 +0100

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, J.W.T.Smith wrote:

> Why don't we just drop the idea of 'publishers' and 'journals' altogether?
> Using old names for new roles only serves to confuse.
> Note - I know peer review is not new but separating it from *journal
> publishing* is.
>
> John Smith,
> University of Kent at Canterbury, UK.

Journals certify quality with a known brand-name. They will and should
continue doing that. Whether the articles appear in paper or online,
whether for fee or for free, is irrelevant to that underlying quality
control and certification function that journals have always performed.

Stevan Harnad harnad_at_cogsci.soton.ac.uk
Professor of Cognitive Science harnad_at_princeton.edu
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 1703 592-582
Computer Science fax: +44 1703 592-865
University of Southampton http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/
Highfield, Southampton http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/