Re: Open Archiving: What are researchers willing to do?

From: Christopher D. Green <christo_at_YORKU.CA>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:31:56 -0500

Marvin wrote:

> [...]

I had a look at this site after you mentioned it yesterday, and noticed the
following interesting passage (http://www.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ1.html,
about a third of the way down, just after the grey box that begins "NOTE: Before
1978..."):

"A further discussion of the definition of "publication" can be found in the
legislative history of the 1976 Copyright Act. The legislative reports define
"to the public" as distribution to
persons under no explicit or implicit restrictions with respect to disclosure of
the contents.
The reports state that the definition makes it clear that the sale of
phonorecords
constitutes publication of the underlying work, for example, the musical,
dramatic, or
literary work embodied in a phonorecord. The reports also state that it is clear
that
any form of dissemination in which the material object does not change hands,
for
example, performances or displays on television, is not a publication no matter
how many people are exposed to the work. However, when copies or phonorecords
are offered for sale or lease to a group of wholesalers, broadcasters, or motion
picture
theaters, publication does take place if the purpose is further distribution,
public
performance, or public display." [bold added by me]

Has it been established in court (in the US or eleswhere) that posting something
on the web actually counts a "publication"? No "material object" has changed
hands.

Regards,
--
Christopher D. Green