Re: Rename Forum: Author Auto-Archiving Forum

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 19:57:19 +0000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Marvin wrote:

> What's in a name?, etc.....
>
> If we are to talk about changes, I suggest a change in Moderator to someone
> with a more neutral position on the topic; someone who will allow time for
> the rest of us to offer our views before taking a strong stance himself.
> That would be in line with the traditional role of moderators of public
> discussions.

I'm happy to step down if the Forum so wishes it.

Not clear, however, what the connection is between the request that I
step down, and the point about allowing everyone time to offer their
views before I adopt a stance myself. I would be doing the latter (and
just as fast) in any case; I hardly think my views gain moral weight ex
officio because I happen to be the moderator...

Stevan Harnad harnad_at_cogsci.soton.ac.uk
Professor of Cognitive Science harnad_at_princeton.edu
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 23-80 592-582
             Computer Science fax: +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/
Highfield, Southampton http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM

NOTE: A complete archive of this ongoing discussion of "Freeing the
Refereed Journal Literature Through Online Self-Archiving" is available
at the American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99):