Re: Medical journals are dead. Long live medical journals

From: sterling stoudenmire <sstouden_at_THELINKS.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:13:06 -0600

I believe, a small problem in this particular message exists.

The profit opportunity, that suggests as its prey, the consumer and
physician, does not account for the issues of enablements and entitlements.

First, the gates and passages to the knowledge and exploitation of the
medical industry (organized credentialized medicine), unlike the world of
physics, is occupied by the invisible soldiers who serve the supreme
economic being.
These soldiers:
 licence (to protect the practioner from the public),
 patent (to encapuslate the pieces of technology),
 intangible rights (to exclude non owners from existing technology)
 controlled access (so knowledge and experience is not available),
technology encapsulation as patents (so friends of the legislature can
profit), institutionalization (for behavioral control), and
 bureaucratism(to serve legislative needs)
are serving the supreme economic being through the political machinery.

Secondly, the political machinery, authorized by citizens, which is suppose
to protect the customer from exploitative profits, has instead been
persuaded, to create and support long standing monopolistic profits.
Therefore, there is a real difference between physics and medicine..
Physics is a pure science unrestricted by politics; medicine, is not
science, but a gated profit based economic system, controlled by politics,
sometimes interested in the truth, always interested in control and power.

sterling

At 08:46 AM 02/29/2000 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]
Computer Aided Cell and Molecular Biology (CACMB), not medicine, will find
the cure for cancer and other diseases. There will always be a need for
the trained clinician (MD/RN) but, advanced diagnostic and treatment option
selection has become gene based, has moved from the physician's practice to
the computerized cell and molecular biology laboratory, and appropriate
treatment options should now be based on the personal biology of the
patient.