Re: Academic Press Journal Article Copyright Policy

From: Franck Ramus <f.ramus_at_UCL.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 16:57:51 -0000

dear colleagues,
under the influence of this forum, i'm investigating different publishers'
copyright transfer policy, in order to choose which journal i am going to
submit my next paper. here is what i found at Academic Press:

3. Personal Servers
3.1. Upon submitting an article to an Academic Press journal for review and
possible publication, authors are requested to add the following notice to
the first screen of any posted electronic preprint versions of the paper:
This work has been submitted to Academic Press for possible publication.
Copyright may be transferred without notice, after which this version may no
longer be accessible. Authors should note that posting the entire work may
be regarded as prior publication by some journal editors (see Information
for Authors of the specific journal).
3.2. When an Academic Press journal accepts the work for publication, the
authors may post it, in its final accepted form, on their personal servers
(but not on any organized preprint server) with a notice Accepted for
publication in <name of journal> as of <date>, until it is published by
Academic Press in print or electronic form.
3.3. After publication, authors may post their Academic Press copyrighted
material on their own servers without permission, provided that the server
displays as the first line of the HTML page the following notice alerting
readers to their obligations with respect to copyrighted material: This
material has been published in <name of journal, issue number and date, page
numbers>, the only definitive repository of the content that has been
certified and accepted after peer review. Copyright and all rights therein
are retained by Academic Press. This material may not be copied or reposted
without explicit permission. The posted work must also include the Academic
Press copyright notice (Copyright ) xxxx by Academic Press) and a link to
IDEAL (International Digital Electronic Access Library) at
<http://www.idealibrary.com> or <http://www.europe.idealibrary.com>.

I'd be interested to hear your comments about such a policy. the point i'd
like to raise is that they allow archiving on a personal server, but not on
an organized preprint server like Cogprints. this suggests to me that, in
order to get around it, cogprints should allow me to REGISTER my paper,
without necessarily UPLOADING it on Cogprints. the complete reference
together with a link to my web page would be sufficient for my paper to be
found by a search on cogprints, and to be downloaded freely by everyone. and
this would not break the agreement. does the Santa Fe protocol allow such a
possibility?

cheers,

Franck Ramus
Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience