Re: Is ESA first?

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:58:43 +0000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Thomas J. Walker wrote:

> > >sh> The market can then decide whether authors think this is worth the
> > >sh> price -- as long as they are allowed the self-archiving option, hence
> > >sh> the choice...
>
> ESA requires authors to sign a copyright release that has
> no provision for self-archiving.
>
> members of all the remaining scientific societies that
> publish journals should see to it that their societies adopt these two
> policies:
>
> 1. Authors are specifically permitted to self-archive their own versions of
> the paper-archived version of their articles.
>
> 2. Authors are permitted to buy, at a fair price, immediate free Web access
> to their articles.
>
> The first is important because it will demonstrate that the society is not
> trying to control the distribution of content.
>
> The second is important because it offers a market-driven, nondisruptive
> transition to free Web access to all journal articles.

Thomas, maybe it's just me, but I still can't determine from the
above: Does or does not ESA allow author self-archiving (of their own
final, accepted draft), without having to pay ESA anything extra? If it
does, then this is a true, benign option, and the most progressive one
I've seen to date, completely in harmony with the mission of a learned
society and the possibilities opened up by the new medium.

Sorry to keep asking you to spell it out, but "no provision" still
sounds abmbiguous to me...

Stevan