Re: WHO WILL PAY FOR WHAT?

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:25:11 +0100

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Marvin wrote:

> > It is researchers who gather, interpret,
> > write and package their research reports. The only thing they cannot do
> > for themselves is the Quality-Control and its Certification (QCC).
> >
> These cost money to do well, do they not?

Which, the QCC? Yes, see below. What the researchers do? That too, but
that's not what S/L/P pays for, so it is completely irrelevant.

That's the Santa Fe Convention is for: http://www.openarchives.org

> > SLP - 70%(SLP) = QCC

> I've seen many things said that I think are simplistic. I've been in charge
> of the expenses of one journal recently. Have you? Anyone can invent
> numbers.

I'm not inventing them. They have been estimated by Andrew Odlyzko

    http://www.research.att.com/~amo/doc/eworld.html

and confirmed (on the "70/30" thread earlier in this Forum) by Mark
Doyle of APS.

I have edited one (paper) journal for over 2 decades and an online-only
one for over a decade.

Stevan Harnad psyc_at_soton.ac.uk
Editor, Psycoloquy phone: +44 23-80 592-582
Department of Electronics and fax: +44 23-80 593-281
             Computer Science http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/psyc
University of Southampton http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/psyc.html
Highfield, Southampton ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Psycoloquy
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM news:sci.psychology.journals.psycoloquy
                    Sponsored by the American Psychological Association (APA)