Re: Monopolies

From: Richard K. Johnson <rick_at_ARL.ORG>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:52:57 -0400

Take a look at the work of Mark McCabe from the Economics Department
at Georgia Institute of Technology:

The Impact of Publisher Mergers on Journal Prices: An Update
<http://www.arl.org/newsltr/207/jrnlprices.html>

The Impact of Publisher Mergers on Journal Prices: A Preliminary
Report <http://www.arl.org/newsltr/200/mccabe.html>

Rick Johnson
SPARC

>The publishing company Harcourt Brace recently put itself up for sale. Its
>STM holdings include WB Saunders, Mosby, Churchill Livingstone, MD Consult
>and Academic Press. The financial press has been reporting that likely
>purchasers include Wolters Kluwer (owners of Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
>and Ovid) and Reed Elsevier (owners of everything else).
>Can anybody direct me to any papers, publications, or other information
>that address the issue of monopolies and mergers in science publishing and
>the potential affects on the scientific community please?

  Rick Johnson * Enterprise Director
  SPARC * Scholarly Publishing & Academic Resources Coalition
  21 Dupont Circle, Suite 800 * Washington, DC 20036
  Tel 202.296.2296 x157 * Fax 202.872.0884 * E-mail rick_at_arl.org