Re: Incentives

From: Thomas J. Walker <tjw_at_GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:33:25 -0400

At 11:21 AM 8/30/00 -0400, Peter Singer wrote:
>article on freedom of information and incentives. I argue that the
>literature will only be truly free when incentives in science are designed
>to reward rather than penalize open access publication.

I agree that researchers need more incentive to make their articles freely
accessible on the Web. Otherwise they would already be self-archiving.

Where this incentive is likely to come from is documented in a recent essay
by Andrew Odlyzko (http://www.si.umich.edu/PEAK-2000/odlyzko.pdf). As
Odlyzko concludes, "The realization will spread that anything not easily
available on the Web will be almost invisible. ...ease of access will be
seen as vital."

Tom Walker
Thomas J. Walker
Department of Entomology & Nematology
University of Florida, PO Box 110620, Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
E-mail: tjw_at_gnv.ifas.ufl.edu FAX: (352)392-0190
Web: http://csssrvr.entnem.ufl.edu/~walker/tjwbib/walker.htm