Re: Librarians and the Ginsparg model

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 12:54:45 -0400

The distinctive characteristic of librarians at one time was our ability
to organize paper documents (both physically and intellectually). We
pretty well understand how to do this, though it is true that we have
never found a way of making it particularly easy for the inexperienced
user. This role will continue to a limited extent; for one thing,
it will be many years before all documents are issued in electronic
format, and all older documents converted. For another, I suggest
that it will remain advisable to maintain microfilm and paper copies of
documents in limited numbers as an ultimate backup. Many of those in the
e-pub area do not recognize the need for this, but I think it will be both
prudent and inexpensive.

But now the distinctive ability of librarians is their ability to help
users find documents. This is even more true in an electronic
environment, and I think the users know this. My experience in working
with a reasonably sophisticated and intelligent community of patrons is
that an expert can find things both more comprehensively and faster than
the average web-savvy user.

 Part of it is experience, of course--we get so many more chances to
practice. But part is mind-set and feel for strategy--we are more aware of
the total universe of stuff out there, not just what the user thinks he's
looking for. And that leads to what I think is the key: we know the
system well enough to formulate a question that the system
will be able to answer.

The more complicated things become, the more our role will be.
I hope we will succeed in not just being able to help, but it finding out
how to do the help beforehand so it appears transparent to the user.

 David
Goodman, Princeton University
Biology Library dgoodman_at_princeton.edu 609-258-3235