Re: Self-Archiving and the reaction of publishers

From: Thomas Bacher <bacher_at_PURDUE.EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:54:25 -0500

Actually, copyright exists in the same force for items not published as for
items published. The only difference really exists in the sense that sales
can be hurt for commercially published materials. However, if someone
violates your copyright by publishing a work that you had written, since you
own the copyright for this without having it registered or not, you have all
legal avenues available to redress your grievance.

Publishing is another matter. That is, we are beginning a new e-only line of
scholarly books (see www.thepress.purdue.edu). These books will be available
digitally, will have ISBNs, will be published under our imprint, and will be
available for distribution. I imagine that this is publication? No?

Thomas Bacher, Director, Purdue Press
1207 SCC-E, W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1207
(765)494-2038 Fax: (765)496-2442
www.thepress.purdue.edu

Be at your life-long-learning best. Read from a University Press.