Re: Central vs. Distributed Archives

From: Greg Kuperberg <greg_at_MATH.UCDAVIS.EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:48:32 -0800

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 07:16:47PM +0000, Stevan Harnad wrote:
> I don't think sublinear or linear growth is right for
> your discipline (maths) either...

Of course more growth is better than less. Several of us (both the arXiv
staff led by Paul Ginsparg and the math advisory committee chaired by Dave
Morrison, on which I serve) have worked hard to accelerate the growth of
the math arXiv. I can report a partial victory. The archives that we
glued together were at best growing linearly with a low slope and were
showing some signs of sublinearity. After we put them together there was
a discontinuous increase in new submissions, and linear growth commenced
with a higher slope. I don't have a chart but the numbers are there at

    http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/math

After we had changed so much, I was surprised that growth was still
linear. (Paul Ginsparg wasn't surprised.) I now believe that linear
growth in e-prints is inherent. But both the discontinuity and the
one-time change in slope were heartening. That is a realistic goal when
you change the system.
--
  /\  Greg Kuperberg (UC Davis)
 /  \