UK "RAE" Evaluations

From: Rzepa, Henry <h.rzepa_at_IC.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:34:56 +0000

The UK runs "Research assessment exercises" in subject disciplines
periodically. Ours (Chemistry) is coming up shortly.

I enquired what the status of my "e-only" work might be.
The answer, approximately, was that if it does not carry a page
number, its not a journal.

Publication in "journals" is of course one way in which
my particular discipline judges quality and international
significance.

As the editor of four "e-print" conference in chemistry,
archived as four CDROMs "without page numbers",
I infer (to be confirmed) that none of this counts towards the
RAE, or at least not at the same level as "page numbers".

As it happens, I have hedged my bets, and published, hopefully
adequately, in journals that DO carry page numbers. But if
ones tenure, or future, were to depend on "page numbers",
it could be a worrying period for some.

If push came to shove, and someone were "shoved" because
their "page numbers" were inadequate, I wonder if that could
be tested legally, and whether the "e-print" would prevail?
--
Henry Rzepa. +44 (0)20 7594 5774 (Office) +44 (0870) 132-3747 (eFax)
Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7  2AY, UK.