Re: Central vs. Distributed Archives

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 22:45:55 -0500

As a relative outsider, I do not consider myself
qualified to decide definitively which approach is best.

But even were I actively working on this, I would not consider it
appropriate to decide on the basis of argumentation. We on this list are
all either scientists, or information workers serving scientists.
We should know that the way to determine this is to try the different
approaches, and determine by observation and experiment. The problem is
large enough to accommodate several different large scale trials.

I suggest that for anyone working actively in this field, the best answer
if anyone criticizes part of one's concept, or proposes another, is to say
"go right ahead and try, but please keep it interoperable, and let us all
know your results."

And I would say the same to alternate schemes of reviewing, or any of the
issues that confront us. If anyone really has a need to argue, there are
enough people who do not yet see the necessity of changing the status quo
to serve for opponents.

Dr. David Goodman, Princeton University Biology
Library dgoodman_at_princeton.edu 609-258-3235