Re: A Note of Caution About "Reforming the System"

From: Peter Singer <peter.singer_at_UTORONTO.CA>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 12:04:07 -0500

I have argued that the literature will never be truly free until we change
the incentives for promotion, tenure, etc so they do not rely on the brand
name of journals but rather the quality of the work itself. See
http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/06-02/singer.html for details. I understand
Stevan's desire to focus on solutions that do not require fundamental change
of the journal system, such as his innnovative proposals for freeing the
literature. However, i think it is important even for appraising Stevan's
proposals to consider alternative, complementary, and perhaps more
fundamental approaches.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Peter A. Singer, MD, MPH, FRCPC
Sun Life Chair in Bioethics and Director,
University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics
Professor of Medicine, University of Toronto
Canadian Institutes of Health Research Investigator
Associate Editor, Canadian Medical Association Journal

e-mail: peter.singer_at_utoronto.ca
website: http://www.utoronto.ca/jcb
fax: 416-978-1911
phone: 416-978-4756
mail: 88 College St., Toronto ON Canada M5G-1L4