Re: Nature launches web debate "Future e-access to the primary literature"

From: Jim Till <till_at_UHNRES.UTORONTO.CA>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 08:08:32 -0400

I had no trouble obtaining free access Nature's debate page at:
http://www.nature.com/nature/debates/e-access/index.html

But, I found it more intelligible when I used Internet Explorer 5 than
when I used Netscape Communicator 4.76. The website seems still to be
under construction?

There's a related article by Tony Delamothe in the April 7, 2001 online
issue of BMJ, at: http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/322/7290/818/d

"PubMed Central increases its appeal".

Some excerpts:

"Now PubMed Central is prepared to link out to publisher' sites for the
full text".

"The conditions are that publishers must make this content freely
available from their own sites within a year, but preferably within six
months, of publication. If publishers stop making content freely available
from their sites PubMed Central will provide it instead".

"Publishers will still need to submit the full text of articles to PubMed
Central to allow more sophisticated indexing and searching than is
possible using abstracts alone. Although these new functions are yet to
materialise, it was their prospect that led PubMed Central's architects
originally to propose a central rather than a distributed repository of
articles".

Jim Till
University of Toronto