Re: ClinMed NetPrints

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 17:06:28 -0400

The NUMBER of readings an article gets does not appear to me as
information in need of protection. One publishes an article to get it
read. The number of CITATIONS to an article is public knowledge, it just
has to be gathered.

WHO READS an article is the information that needs to be protected. Within
a University we are concerned with protecting knowledge of what
individual reads it, and this university has decided by policy not to
collect or attempt to collect such data, or permit publishers to do so.
We do not collect data on access by ip addresses or even ranges
at either an article or journal level. Such data might provide us useful
insights into collection development needs, but we have decided to forgo
this knowledge as unsafe to collect.

In commercial enterprises, such as pharmaceutical companies, I understand
they are also interested in preventing the collection of what information
the entire company is accessing, because of the possibility of industrial
espionage, and therefore appropriately use elaborate precautions to
prevent this.

I personally am almost fanatically concerned about intellectual
privacy, but I still see no harm in knowing what articles are accessed by
the world in general. As for the analogy with a physical library, if you
go into a library you will have no trouble determining by physical
inspection what books and journals are most used, and even what journal
articles are read particularly heavily.

 David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman_at_princeton.edu 609-258-3235