Re: PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_COGPRINTS.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:54:49 +0100

Albert Henderson wrote:
> Again, in the case of the publication of preprints, since preprints are
> published before the assignment of copyright, that publication cannot be
> a violation of the ``transfer agreement,'' whatever that is.

Of course, from my point of view--and I am an editor of a scholarly
journal--this is not related to copyright infringement, but to the
Ingelfinger rule. So, many editors are taking a distance from this rule
in the sense of recognizing the rights of the author to post
pre-prints.

On the other hand, this discussion would be over if editors continue
to recognize the authors' rights to post their articles as e-prints in
their preferred servers, and incorporate these rights in the copyright
contracts. This item is related to moral copyrights rather than to the
patrimonial side of the problem. I think this is the tendency and the
whole copyright concept will be changing in this direction.

The discussion is most enlightening. Thanks to all.

Dr Guillermo J Padron
Editor Ejecutivo
Elfos Scientiae
Apartado 6072
Ciudad Habana 6
Cuba
Telefonos: (53-7) 33-1917 / 21-8008
Fax (53-7) 33-1917 / 21-8070
E-mail: gjpg_at_cigb.edu.cu <mailto:gjpg_at_cigb.edu.cu>