Re: PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research

From: George Lundberg <GLundberg_at_MEDSCAPEINC.COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 23:12:14 -0400

david
i will try to be clear(as i believe i have been--for example the great
Franz Ingelfinger is long gone and bad laws can be broken or challenged and
changed))
re'your 1. of course paper journals can become paper and web or web only
but there is a major cultural and procedural and economic transition
required and many humans(and organizations)wed to paper and its
processes(and revenue) have had great difficluty with such a full transition
perhaps they will improve over time if proper incentives could be in
place
2. label and reputation can transfer to the web or can become deserved by
track records for web originals over time..
Professional editing and peer review can be applied in many web constructs
in addition to "traditional" web journals
For example www.CBSHealthwatch.com uses professional editors and high
quality named peer reviewers as a routine FOR CONSUMER information yet

rarely has there been greater opportunity to create and do things well or
to downgrade, unfortunately.
hope this exchange helps some we have a wonderful new medium to use well
for fabulous activities in the public interest
george