Re: Reasons for freeing the primary research literature

From: Jean-Claude Guédon <jean.claude.guedon_at_UMONTREAL.CA>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:23:01 -0400

 I would add an extension to the public property argument: a bit like roads,
fundamental public knowledge ought to be considered as a basic infrastructure
for all kinds of other activities, including further public, fundamental
research as well as private, business oriented research. Roads, after all,
serve botht the public and private sectors at once and neither could get
along without roads. Roads are not par of a market in the usual sense of the
word; fundamental knowedge neither.

A similar argument has been used with regard to free source code operating
systems. If you want a healthy development of niche, commercial, software,
you need a good, open platform allowing everyone to compete on an equal
footing. As Corel found out, you cannot fight against MS-Office on top of
Windows. Companies could not compete in a healthy manner if one of them also
owned the roads; countries cannot enter the innovation game if they do not
have access to the literatue on acount of its costs.

In short, this public property is not simply public property; it may well be
public property playing a fundamental infrastructural role in our societies
and for the whole planet.

What do you think?

Best,

Jean-Claude Guédon

PS I heard a strange piece of news recently: a fellow apparently named Albert
Henderson has found himself incapacitated in some manner. I do not know the
exact cause, but what is clear is that his computer is spewing off a number
of messages from a fixed bank of statements, a bit like the mechanical Eve in
Villiers de l'Isle Adam's novel, L'Eve future. These statements, many of them
quite outrageous in their claims, and some actually funny, are found all over
the networks, a bit like the chinese cookies messages one finds on Unix
systems. I began to notice this phenomenon when I saw the same repetitious
claims recur regularly over this list. The worst part is that he appears no
longer capable of stopping his computer.

Does any know how to help break the kind of infinite loop in which this
fellow's computer appears to be caught. If he is still capable of thinking,
he may be getting a little embarrassed by it all, and he might be very
grateful for such charitable help.

--
Jean-Claude Guédon
Département de littérature comparée