Re: Entire Editoral Board Resigns En Masse

From: Peter Suber <peters_at_EARLHAM.EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:43:56 -0400

At 09:21 AM 10/9/2001 -0400, C. Lee Giles wrote:
Is this just the beginning or an aberration?

> Dear colleagues in machine learning,
>
> The forty people whose names appear below have resigned from the
> Editorial Board of the Machine Learning Journal (MLJ). We would
> like to make our resignations public, to explain the rationale for
> our action, and to indicate some of the implications that we see for
> members of the machine learning community worldwide.
[...]

It hasn't happened often, yet, but it's no aberration. The editorial board
of the Journal of Logic Programming (Elsevier) did roughly the same thing
in November 1999, and then created the Theory and Practice of Logic
Programming (Cambridge). Here are some details:
http://www.topica.com/lists/suber-fos/read/message.html?mid=1602797702&sort=d&start=0

I just interviewed Leslie Pack Kaelbling, editor of the Journal of Machine
Language Research and will have an account of what happened in this week's
issue of my newsletter, which should appear Friday or Saturday.

      Peter

Peter Suber, Professor of Philosophy
Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana, 47374
Email peters_at_earlham.edu
Web http://www.earlham.edu/~peters

Editor, The Free Online Scholarship Newsletter
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/