Re: Entire Editoral Board Resigns En Masse

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_COGPRINTS.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 03:52:24 +0100

        Constructive response and policy from Kluwer

Further to the publicity that has been given to the editorial
board resignations from Machine Learning, please see the following
message from its Executive Editor, Robert Holte, as forwarded by
Peter Suber of FOS (Free Online Scholarship).

Note that Kluwer's policy here is very reasonable, and that the key
feature is that it formally allows author self-archiving. That is all
that is needed. With that, the entire refereed corpus can be freed
online. As the publishers point out, now that this effectively makes
the for-fee version from the publisher optional rather than obligatory,
there are no reasonable grounds for objecting or petitioning or
boycotting or resigning (from the standpoint of the goal of liberating
the refereed literature online).

I hope the research community will soon realize that they are simply
barking up the wrong tree if they focus on trying to force journal
publishers to give away their contents for free, or on founding new
rival journals to wrest their contents from them and give them
away. There is simply no need for it (and it is in any case nowhere near
being within reach for virtually all of the world's 20,000 refereed
journals). All that is needed is systematic author/institution
self-archiving in interoperable OAI-compliant institutional Eprint
Archives -- http://www.arl.org/sparc/pubs/enews/aug01.html#6
-- and that is already within reach, immediately, for all 20,000.

All the research community needs to do is realize it, and just
go ahead and do it. And let journal and journal publishers
continue doing what they are good at, and necessary for
(implementing peer review, and providing the on-paper and
on-line options).

Stevan Harnad

NOTE: A complete archive of the ongoing discussion of providing free
access to the refereed journal literature online is available at the
American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01):

                            or
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html

You may join the list at the amsci site.

Discussion can be posted to: