Re: Interview with Elsevier Science

From: Barry Mahon <mahons1_at_EIRCOM.NET>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:03:34 +0000

> > [Moderator's Note: The above posting contains an incorrect
> > enthymeme, which needs to be corrected before it spreads:

I referred to "open archives" not specifically the OAI or any other such
initiative. Maybe my terminology was loose for which I apologise

The latter part of the Moderator's Note says:

> Perhaps what Barry Mahon has in mind is the view of certain ArXiv
> > users (http://arxiv.org) who have expressed their own view
> > (http://www.eprints.org/results/2arXivUsersComments.htm) that peer
> > review may no longer be needed (e.g. Greg Kuperberg in this list:
> > "The Preprint is the Postprint"
> > http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/1024.html)?

I would not necessarily agree that "The Preprint is the Postprint"
describes the phenomenon either

> > It might be more informative to ask Elsevier specifically about
> > their policy regarding online self-archiving of peer-reviewed
> > papers by Elsevier authors, in particular, Elsevier copyright
> > transfer policy on online self-archiving.

I would expect that to be part of the discussion but I wanted to open up
the issue wider than the specific issues of Elsevier's copyright
policies

Barry Mahon