Re: Interview with Elsevier Science

From: Thomas J. Walker <tjwalker_at_MAIL.IFAS.UFL.EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:05:50 -0500

Hi Richard--
[I couldn't get your e-mail address to work, so I'm sending this to the list.]

I hope you will ask if Elsevier has plans to allow authors in their
journals to purchase immediate, free, Web access to their articles. In
other words will Elsevier do what the Entomological Society of America has
already done and sell authors immediate toll-free posting of their
articles. Ent. Soc. Am. makes money from these sales and authors get what
they most desire (free Web access to their research results by anyone who
wishes it [=maximum impact]). Such sales also provide a market-driven
means to transition from the present subscription-supported system of
journal publication to one in which publication is supported by authors and
their sponsors. Because the total cost of the latter system is lower than
the current system and because all the stakeholders other than the
publishers clearly benefit from it, how does Elsevier propose to prevent it?

For information on the Ent Soc Am initiative go to
http://csssrvr.entnem.ufl.edu/~walker/epub/esaepub.htm.

For more on the economics of free access, see
http://csssrvr.entnem.ufl.edu/~walker/epub/FWApage.htm.

Tom

Thomas J. Walker
Department of Entomology & Nematology
PO Box 110620 (or Natural Area Drive)
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
E-mail: tjw_at_ufl.edu (or tjwalker_at_mail.ifas.ufl.edu)
FAX: (352)392-0190
Web: http://csssrvr.entnem.ufl.edu/~walker/