Re: Copyright: Form, Content, and Prepublication Incarnations

From: Chris Armstrong <lisqual_at_cix.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:30:00 +0000

A late comment on Charles Oppenheim's 16/11 email:

>I agree with Professor Riolo - the best way forward is
>for authors to refuse to assign copyright to a
>publisher, and simply to license them.
>
>...This means that the genie IS out of the bottle ...

Well yes - but, hasn't it really been out of the bottle
for a long time? Think of all those photocopied articles,
most without a copyright slip filled in, many for reasons
other than personal study, etc. The publishers must be
aware of this and they KNOW there is no point in the
litigation route; it simply ups the journal prices a
little. They are happy with that compromise!

And so it goes. If the subversive proposal takes hold,
journal prices will be forced up - in the short term, at
least. In the long term, IF it worries them, the
publishers can lobby for litigation outside of the
copyright laws, I suppose. Perhaps something to do with
fair trading? And I bet the universities cave in first!

Chris Armstrong
Centre for Information Quality Management (CIQM)
(+44) 1974 251441
lisqual_at_cix.co.uk
<http://www.i-a-l.co.uk>