EPrints for Archaeology?

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_cogprints.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:46:04 +0000

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Steve Hitchcock wrote:

> Internet Archaeology, an open access journal originally funded
> by eLib, has announced that it will have to start charging for access.
> Buried in this announcement is the problem of charging being
> retrospective, i.e. to access the content of issues 2-11, previously free,
> now incurs a charge. The editor justifies it like this:
>
> >The eLib extension grant allowed us to continue free access for longer
> >than we had anticipated, but we still will be carrying the costs of
> >maintenance for the 50+ articles in the back issues into perpetuity, which
> >is the main reason why we chose to charge for these also. But it is also
> >why we chose only to make a single one-off charge for them.
>
> I'm inclined to suggest that they set-up an EPrints archive, or find a
> friendly EPrints archive to do it for them in a more cost-effective manner
> than they seem able to manage. Do any come to mind? It would not be a good
> idea to suggest it only to find that none could offer a suitable home.

I am willing to create an Archeology Sector in CogPrints, unless
an existing Eprint Archive responds that their subject matter is
closer, and are willing to host it.

If you have a suitable Eprints Archive, this is a good way to
encourage further content. Please let me (or Steve Hitchcock)
know.

Stevan Harnad