Re: What if it's peer-review versus free-access?

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:28:31 -0500

Stevan,

I am concerned with user access, and most of my work is devoted to
arranging this for paid and free resources, and showing users when and
how to find and use them. (Arranging for sufficient money for the
current publishing system is difficult, but it's only one problem among
many. A completely chaotic self-publishing system might cause even worse
problems in arranging access, but if that's what happens, librarians
will help the users cope with it.)

I want free access so that there can be general availability of the
literature: what you and everyone else write (both your refereed papers
and what you merely post). I see it as my role to provide information
wanted by the users. The users evaluate the information, and it's for
the faculty to teach the students how to do so. I help them by
explaining to users the differences between the sorts of information
available. If those who publish in a field think conventional peer
review helpful, they will arrange for it.

And your last paragraph does answer the question I asked. -- David

--
Dr. David Goodman
Biology Librarian