Re: Full-Text Useage Statistics: Open Access vs. Firewalled

From: Matthew Cockerill <matt_at_BIOMEDCENTRAL.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:35:38 -0000

John,

The analysis in Martin Richardson's Nature debate contribution
( http://www.nature.com/nature/debates/e-access/Articles/richardson.html )
is an interesting starting point, but it raises more questions than it
answers:

(1)The data presented is for a single journal - The EMBO Journal.
This is a major journal, presumably subscribed to the majority of large
institutions. But most journals published in the biomedical sciences are not
as widely subscribed as the EMBO Journal. It would be interesting to examine
the equivalent graph for other journals, to see whether, for example, there
is an inverse correlation between number of subscribing institutions and the
access-boost (if any) resulting from open-access.

(2) The data presented lists only *relative* access stats for that journal.
Analysis that included absolute figures would make it feasible to compare
journals with different access policies, rather than being restricted to
looking solely for the impact of opening up access to old articles at a
particular point in time, for one particular journal.

(3) Finally, the strongest message from the data in the graph is that
(unsurprisingly), accesses to the paper in the first 3-6 months after
publication account for a disproportionately large percentage of total
article accesses. The effect of open access during this initial period of
most intense interest remains to be systematically investigated.

Matt
==
Matthew Cockerill Ph.D.
Technical Director