Re: Clarification of "parasitism" and copyright (David Goodman)

From: Albert Henderson <chessNIC_at_COMPUSERVE.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:30:09 -0500

Why do David and Steven put cost-cutting above quality?

30 years of cost-cutting has undermined peer review,
authorship and education. Poor libraries are only
part of the new regime that replaced tenured faculty
with part-timers.

Steven's proposals promise to cut costs. They will
certainly eliminate librarians as well as collections,
replacing the lot with automation and added burdens
shifted to authors and readers.

As for peer review taking care of itself, any
experienced editor will testify that useful peer
review comes through searching, soliciting, and
editing -- not pure volunteerism. The best referees
are busy, too busy to go looking for something to do.

Unfortunately, the real parasitism in academe is
in the culture of bureaucracy, as Max Weber pointed
out. Its obsession with cost-cutting seeks expansion
of administrative power based on financial hoarding.
For students and researchers, parasitism means
promises of rich delicacies followed by delivery of
pablum and starvation.

It is the libraries, after all, that have provided
'free access for all' to the research literature.
More than that, libraries have winnowed the wheat
from the chaff. (Why would any professional librarian
or researcher support "self-archived" chaff??)

Private research universities, in particular,
have hoarded far more money than they need. Why
aren't we talking about spending some of it and
improving the quality of research and education???

Albert Henderson
Former Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY 1994-2000
<70244.1532_at_compuserve.com>