Re: ALPSP statement on BOAI

From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang_at_inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:05:18 +0100

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 09:44:41PM +0000, Stevan Harnad wrote:

> > The advent
> > of electronic publication has reduced these costs much less than was hoped;
> > indeed it has added new ones, such as database creation and maintenance,
> > provision of the searchability and usability which users want, and
> > permanent archiving and preservation. In order for the core functions of
> > formal publication to continue, they must be paid for at some point in the
> > communication chain.
>
> Again, ALPSP is forcibly co-bundling more and more add-ons (and costs)
> with the peer review, not testing whether those add-ons are needed or
> wanted.

I would even say that I consider that those add-ons are a
disadvantage. What I need is access to the raw data so that I can
decide myself what add-ons I wish, with what technology ... so that
technological choices and innovations are permitted to me and to all
in that respect ... rather than being forced to take what is fed to
me.

> > ALPSP recognises that there is a growing problem, driven by the continuing
> > growth in the volume of research literature, and the much lower growth, if
> > any, in the library budgets available to buy it. Many of our members
> > already make archival content freely available, and do not restrict authors
> > from posting and re-using their own articles;
>
> If I understand this correctly, it means that many ALPSP publishers
> make their full-text content openly accessible after a certain time has
> elapsed after publication.

apparently not ... only to authors, and that is certainly not satisfactory.

> This is very welcome (though one would want
> to know how many journals, and after how much time has elapsed), but it
> is too little, and too late. Research results are published so that
> they are accessible to all potential users, immediately. And the
> reality is that most users (more specifically, their institutions)
> cannot afford the access tolls for most published (refereed) research.
>
> The second ALPSP clause is potentially much more important: Does
> "posting and re-using their own articles" include self-archiving them
> online? I will provisionally assume that it does (otherwise I have no
> idea what "posting" means here).

Bernard

--
Bernard.Lang_at_inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 1 3963 5644
                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX