Re: OAI and the rational publisher

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 17:27:40 -0500

Mark, I have two or three comments, based not just on this message but
your last reply to Stevan

1. Of all the possible organizations, your's is the strongest and the most
focused and therefore the best able to take the step. I think the result
will be positive for your journals, as the best material from others may
soon be looking for another home.

2. The readership of APS journals is not limited to the membership of APS.
They are widely read in other fields--you do not serve only the physics
community. (This is true is all academic fields.)

3. What exactly do you think is necessary for proper archiving beyond
what Stevan's proposal calls for?

4. Can you envision any workable form of peer review that does _not_
involve journals?

David Goodman
Research Librarian and
Biological Sciences Bibliographer