Re: ALPSP statement on BOAI

From: Arthur Smith <apsmith_at_APS.ORG>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:12:01 -0400

David Goodman wrote:
> We all know that ongoing measurements
> already show an almost total nonuse of conventional publications, print or
> electronic, in one of the science subject areas.

Our high energy/particle physics journal (Phys. Rev. D) is serving out
10's of thousands of articles/month to thousands of online users, which
I would hardly call "almost total nonuse"...

Some of our other physics journals do have a factor of 2 or 3 higher
ratio of number of downloads to published articles, but given that high
energy physicists make the heaviest use of arxiv.org I think we're doing
ok.

Which is why I agree with David Goodman that the right approach is to
let the market decide; with experience we're (at least so far) not as
worried as Sally Morris...

                        Arthur