Re: Harnad/Oppenheim-Strategie aus Sicht des deutschen Urheberrechts?

From: Klaus Graf <graf_at_uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 10:43:31 +0200

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 00:14:30 +0100 (BST)
From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: american-scientist-open-access-forum_at_amsci.org
Cc: cni-copyright_at_cni.org, Digital Copyright
<digital-copyright_at_nova.umuc.edu>,
        urecht_at_jurix.jura.uni-sb.de, NETLAW-L_at_LISTSERV.GMD.DE
Subject: Harnad/Oppenheim-Strategie aus Sicht des deutschen
Urheberrechts?

>=20

The above asks how the preprint&corrigenda strategy looks according to
German Law.

> Bei der Strategie handelt es sich um folgende Schritte:
>=20
> 6.1. Self-archive the pre-refereeing preprint
> 6.2. Submit the preprint for refereeing (revise etc.)
> 6.3. At acceptance, try to fix the copyright transfer agreement to allow
> self-archiving
> 6.4. If 6.3 is successful, self-archive the refereed postprint
> 6.5. If 6.3 is unsuccessful, archive the"corrigenda"
>=20
> "Your pre-refereeing preprint has already been self-archived since prior
> to submission, and is not covered by the copyright
> agreement, which pertains to the revised final ("value-added") draft.
> [...] Yet this simple, risible strategy is also feasible, and legal
> (Oppenheim 2001) -- and sufficient to free the entire current refereed
> corpus of all access/impact barriers immediately!"
>=20
> Ich bezweifle, dass auch im angloamerikanischen Rechtsraum die Dinge so
> einfach liegen, was die zentrale Unterscheidung von Preprint- und
> Postprint-Copyright angeht, bin aber fuer Hinweise offen.
>=20
> Besonders dankbar waere ich aber fuer Stellungnahmen zum deutschen
> Recht, natuerlich auch fuer bibliographische Angaben. Eine Eroerterung
> oder ein Urteil ist mir nicht bekannt.

Klaus Graf asks whether the preprint/postprint distinction is so
clearcut.

Answer: What is clearcut is that at the time of the self-archiving of
the preprint, the copyright is 100% in the author's hands, as the paper
is neither submitted nor accepted for publication yet. That is all that
is required for the P&C strategy to work.

Most of the rest of the posting is about whether there is a legal way
to compel the author to ERASE the preprint from the internet after
it has been refereed, revised and accepted.=20

Answer: One can try to do so in a specially worded contract, but in
practise it is virtually impossible to remove all traces of a text
once it has been publicly disseminated on the Internet (picked up by
countless search engines, caches, mirror-archives, etc.). Hence such a
contract would be for all intents and purposes unenforceable. At best,
the
publisher would have to keep trying to go after particular incarnations
of the paper (no longer in the hands of the author in any case, just as
if he had read it into a public address system for all to hear, at the
time when he had the full right to do so). The cost of doing this would
vastly outweigh any possible savings, and again, there would be no hope
of
erasing them all.

In addition, in the successive drafts of an author's successive papers,
there is a slippery slope as to which texts count as the SAME paper. For
purposes of detecting plagiarism by another author, an algorithm could
perhaps be agreed upon, but when it is the author's own work, it is less
clear what does and does not count as a different paper.

In other words, the case of an author who WISHES to give away his text
in this radically new medium (rather than to sell it, as in the old),
it will be very hard to find a way to formulate and to enforce measures
to erase it once it has been intentionally and legally made publicly
acccessible online.

> Junker sagt in REMUS:
> http://remus.jura.uni-sb.de/faelle/onlinebibliothek.html
> "Frage 7: Muss Professor P den Beitrag l=F6schen, wenn er ihn zun=E4chst =
auf
> seiner Homepage publiziert hat und dann dem
> V-Verlag zur Ver=F6ffentlichung in einer Fachzeitschrift geben m=F6chte?

Must the author delete the preprint when he wishes to submit it to a
journal? Certainly not. Must he do it if and when a draft of the paper
is accepted? Not according to current copyright trnasfer agreements.

Could specific new agreements require him to do so? Perhaps they can
try, but they cannot require him to do what cannot be done.=20

In any case, as has been noted repeatedly in prior discussion of this
question in this Forum, this question is highly hypothetical, indeed,
counterfactual, because in reality journal publishers are (for very good
reasons) doing exactly the opposite: They are explicitly permitting the
author to self-archive the preprint, e.g.:

(1) Nature http://www.nature.com/nature/author/embargo.html

    "Nature does not wish to hinder communication between scientists...
    Neither conferences nor preprint servers constitute prior
    publication."

(2) Elsevier (1700 journals):
http://authors.elsevier.com/PublisherInfoDetail.html?dc=3DCI#internet

    "As an [Elsevier] author you [have the] right to retain a preprint
    version of the article on a public electronic server such as the
    World Wide Web."

and in more and more cases journal publishers are explicitly permitting
the author to self-archive the postprint too, e.g.:

(3) American Physical Society:
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Temp/APS/copy_trnsfr.pdf

    "The author(s) shall have the following rights... The right to
    post and update the Article on e-print servers as long as files
    prepared and/or formatted by APS or its vendors are not used for
    that purpose. Any such posting made or updated after the acceptance
    of the Article for publication shall include a link to the online
    abstract in the APS journal or to the entry page of the journal."

(4) The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers'
(ALPSP) recommended model license:
http://www.alpsp.org/grantli.pdf

    "You... retain the right to use your own article (provided you
    acknowledge the published original in standard bibliographic
    citation form) in the following ways as long as you do not sell it
    [or give it away] in ways that would conflict directly with our
    commercial business interests. You are free to use your article...
    mounted on your own or your institution's website; [posted to free
    public servers of preprints and/or articles in your subject
area]..."

So my suggestion is to stop worrying about legal hypotheticals that were
not designed for the special case that is evolving before us. This is
an author give-away literature, in the online era. Publishers, like
everyone else, will adapt to whatever serves the best interests of the
research research community that is giving away this literature..

> Ob Professor P den Beitrag l=F6schen muss, wenn er ihn zun=E4chst auf sei=
ner
> Homepage ver=F6ffentlicht hat, h=E4ngt von der Vereinbarung
> mit dem V-Verlag ab. Der V-Verlag kann n=E4mlich nur dann die - wie es im
> Gesetz hei=DFt (lies =A7 97 Abs. 1 S. 1 UrhG) - "Beseitigung"
> des Beitrags im Internet verlangen, wenn er Inhaber eines
> ausschliesslichen Nutzungsrechts ist, welches ihn zur =F6ffentlichen
> Wiedergabe im Internet berechtigt."

Yes, whether the author is legally obliged to "erase" something depends
on what contract he has signed, but, as noted, whether he or anyone CAN
erase it is another matter.

> Irre ich mich, wenn ich folgendes als die h.M. ansehe: Uebertraegt ein
> Autor alle Recht an einem Artikel (einschliesslich des Rechts der
> Onlineveroeffentlichung) einem Verlag, so bezieht sich dies auch auf
> eine Vorfassung des gleichen Artikels, die bereits online
> veroeffentlicht wurde. Begruendung: Es handelt sich um das gleiche Werk,
> da in der Regel Preprint und Postprint nicht durch freie Benutzung
> auseinander hervorgehen. (Konsultiert wurde Schricker, UrhR, 2. Aufl., =
=A7
> 24 UrhG, insbes. Rdrn. 24: bei wiss. Werken sei der Spielraum fuer freie
> Benutzung groesser).

Yes, if it can be agreed that the preprint is the "same work" then,
as noted above, the contract can stimulate "erasure" -- but not that
erasure can indeed be successfully accomplished.

But the most important thing is that no contract can stimulate that
it was illegal to have publicly archived the preprint in the first
place.=
=20

> Ebenso sicher scheint mir als h.M.: Ein Verlag kann wirksam (i.S. des
> ehem. AGBG, nunmehr BGB) durch Verlagsvertrag ausschliessen, dass ein
> Preprint online weiterhin zugaenglich gemacht werden darf. Er kann in
> jedem Fall durch Einzelvereinbarung mit dem Autor (nicht dem ehem. AGBG
> unterliegend) die nachtraegliche Loeschung vereinbaren.

A contract can stipulate that all copies of the text should be erased
from the internet, and the author can sign, but no one can actually=20
erase all copies, so the matter is moot.

> Damit aber scheitert die Strategie, zumal Verlage sich auf sie durch
> Vertragsgestaltung einstellen koennen.
>=20
> Wie die Herausgeber der Zeitschrift sich dazu stellen, haengt von ihnen
> und ihren Vertraegen mit dem Verlag ab. Im Extremfall kann ein Verlag,
> der ueber die Titelrechte verfuegt, mit einer willfaehrigeren
> Herausgeber-Crew das Journal fortsetzen.
>
> Klaus Graf

This simply repeats that it is possible to draw up a contract that calls
for erasure. It does not take into account the realities of this new
medium in this special case. (No commercial author, seeking revenue from
the sale of his text, would do something so foolish, either on paper or
online, as to distribute an infinite number of free copies before
submitting his work for publication!)

Rather than worrying about procrustean principles from a vanished
papyrocentric era, it would be more realistic and useful to try to make
sense of what is actually feasible and optimal for researchers in this
new medium.

Stevan Harnad

NOTE: A complete archive of the ongoing discussion of providing free
access to the refereed journal literature online is available at the
American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01):
                            or
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html

Discussion can be posted to:
    american-scientist-open-access-forum_at_amsci.org=20

See also the Budapest Open Access Initiative:
    http://www.soros.org/openaccess

and the Free Online Scholarship Movement:
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/timeline.htm

***

Kommentar:

Anders als in URECHT war in cni-Copyright eine substantielle
Stellungnahme zu meiner Anfrage zu lesen.

Ich halte diese allerdings nur fuer bedingt hilfreich. Gegenueber der
uebermaechtigen Verwerterlobby bringt es wenig, gebetsmuehlenhaft auf
die radikal veraenderten Bedingungen im digitalen Zeitalter zu
verweisen.

Ich habe es als Sinn der Harnad/Oppenheim-Strategie verstanden, den
dauerhaften kostenfreien Zugang zu wiss. Publikationen zu sichern.

Muss ein Preprint aufgrund von vertraglichen Vereinbarungen mit dem
Verlag aus einem Archiv wieder entfernt werden, so fehlt es am Kriterium
der Dauerhaftigkeit.

Dass es nicht gelingen wird, alle Kopien wieder einzusammeln, steht auf
einem ganz anderen Blatt. Filesharing-Systeme und Spiegelungen koennen
effektiv eine weitere Zugaenglichkeit bewirken, aber das ist doch nicht
das, woran man bei Self-Archiving primaer zu denken hat.

Ich bleibe dabei: Im Rahmen des bestehenden deutschen Urheberrechts kann
die H/O-Strategie erfolgreich mit einer juristischen Gegenstrategie der
Verlage (ggf. auch der Herausgeber) gekontert werden, die dem Autor sehr
schnell die Lust auf Hase-Igel-Spielchen nimmt.

Aktivisten der Bewegung werden sich sicher nicht abschrecken lassen,
aber die Strategie soll ja eine Breitenresonanz ausloesen. Wenn man die
gravierenden Probleme aber vertuscht, so ist das ganz und gar nicht im
Sinne der Sache (die ich selbst, wie bekannt, vehement unterstuetze).
Und das Hauptproblem ist meines Erachtens dasjenige, dass Preprint und
gedruckter Artikel urheberrechtlich als das gleiche Werk gelten. Wird
ein ausschliessliches Nutzungsrecht an diesem Werk uebertragen, so kann
von Verlagsseite nach herrschender Meinung die Beseitigung des Preprints
verlangt werden.

In anderen Bereichen als der Naturwissenschaft ist die Fragestellung
alles andere als hypothetisch, da es wohl nicht wenige Verlage gibt, die
eine andere Position einnehmen und eine Onlineveroeffentlichung nicht
tolerieren.

Ich wuerde mir wuenschen, Mr. Harnad wuerde Bedenken, die aus dem
eigenen Lager kommen, ernster nehmen und sie nicht mit einer aufgeregten
Rhetorik wegdisputieren.

Dr. Klaus Graf
http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~graf