Re: ALPSP Research study on academic journal authors

From: Sally Morris <sec-gen_at_alpsp.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 01:21:30 +0100

Apologies for a very belated response to this.

Although a high percentage did, indeed, state that they considered preprint
and/or 'postprint' archives important, it was clear from the actual
had not the faintest idea what was meant by the question. Answers like
'pdf' were common.

The change to peer review which was most strongly supported was simply to
speed it up through electronic communications; there was relatively more
modest support for making reviewers' names public, or the addition of public
commentary to supplement peer review.

I am sure most readers of this list appreciate that, as a not-for-profit
association, we have to cover our costs; thus it was essential to sell the
report of our research in order to recoup the research costs. Copies are
still available and may be ordered via our website.

Sally

Sally Morris, Secretary-General
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK

Phone: 01903 871686 Fax: 01903 871457 E-mail: sec-gen_at_alpsp.org
ALPSP Website http://www.alpsp.org

Learned Publishing is now online, free of charge, at
www.learned-publishing.org