Re: What About the Author Self-Archiving of Books?

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:31:29 -0400

Thomas,

I ask your advice whether you think that an automated translation with
any available software would be adequate to a technical work of this
sort (as you are much more knowledgeable than me in all related areas)?
Would you trust it instead of the original, or instead of a professional
edited translation?

As a comprehensive research library, my institution routinely buys
important non-English monographs in most subject fields. We might have
missed this one, but we won't, because I've just ordered it. I am not
sure if any US libraries have a truly comprehensive collection program
in library science, since the demise of the Columbia Library School
Library.

The difficulty for me, once I get the book, is that my German is not
really up to reading an entire book (my Ph.D. language exam in German
was a very long time ago). This underlines your point about the need for
translation. Librarianship is a field where there has long been separate
national traditions, but I think that period is past, or ought to be.

David

--
David Goodman
Research Librarian and