Re: Book on future of STM publishers

From: Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:30:33 +0100

One question and one comment.

Thomas, are you suggesting that PhD students should not have to pay the
printing and binding costs of their theses? That the University should print
and bind the thesis for the student free of charge? Or, more sensibly, that
the University should stop requiring printed theses and allow submission in
electronic form -- on a CD-ROM, if they wish to avoid any subsequent changes to
the thesis?

Re "tollgating entry to the academic profession" -- it needs to noted that only
a minority of PhDs become academics. Some go off to practice their profession
in non-academic environments, and others leave their academic field and become
accountants, managers or whatever.

Fytton.