Re: Ingenta to offer OAI eprint service

From: Barbara Kirsop <ept_at_BIOSTRAT.DEMON.CO.UK>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:59:47 +0100

The posting on July 18th from Stevan relates to email messages sent to
both Stevan and Ingenta by myself and the Electronic Publishing Trust
(EPT), respectively. I would like to make clear that we were not
concerned about copyright issues, the legitimate activities of
commercial organisations, commercial publishers (we work with many from
the developing world) nor even about filling the archives. Our concern
is solely about the possible development of a two-tier eprint software
system that would emerge as a result of a commercial development in
parallel with the free-of-cost software. It seems to us that where this
scenario exists, the non-commercial system will likely be of a less
well-developed standard. Filling the archives is essential, but filled
archives without the eprint software to provide global access to them
must be as useless as empty archives.

It is very true that scientists in developing countries are highly
enthusiastic about the potential for free access to the world's
scientific literature that institutional archives present. The EPT is
active in raising awareness about the OAI and associated services
(www.epublishingtrust.org). But scientists in the developing countries
have important research information to contribute to the global
knowledge base, and raising visibility of this through their own
institutional archives is also seen to be a very important opportunity.
Closing the S to N knowledge gap, making visible the 'missing' science,
are real challenges that archives in developing countries can help to
resolve.

It is difficult for academic authors in the developed world to relate to
the feeling of isolation and impotence that scientists feel if their
research remains largely unknown and unacknowledged, as is too often the
case at present in the developing world. Moreover, the importance of the
research generated in these regions is of huge relevance to the
development of international research programmes - particularly in such
areas as AIDS, malaria, TB, ecology and conservation, where local
conditions and local knowledge are significant factors. Therefore, the
OAI movement was increasingly regarded as a light at the end of the
tunnel and one-for-all software the ideal tool.

We remain concerned that as the commercial system develops, the
scientists in the poorer countries will have no choice but to use the
non-commercial software. If the development of this will indeed forge
ahead at the same rate as that developed by Ingenta, this will be
reassuring. But the new commercial arrangement suggests that the current
software has need of improved user support, so perhaps the BOAI
initiative could be encouraged to focus on supporting archives in the
developing world by funding the development of installation or
self-archiving manuals. Archives in the developing regions would be
quickly filled, since the global recognition they provide would be
greatly encouraging to scientific development, both personally and
nationally.

Barbara Kirsop
Electronic Publishing Trust for Development
www.epublishingtrust.org