Re: Garfield: "Acknowledged Self-Archiving...

From: Sally Morris <sec-gen_at_ALPSP.ORG>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:23:04 +0100

I agree with other respondents to David's posting, that it is most unusual
these days for journal editors to receive no more than reimbursement of
their expenses. I was a journal publisher for over a decade, and most of
our editors received either an honorarium or a royalty - the latter was
often preferred as it rewarded the editor for the success of her or his
journal. Those journals published on behalf of societies usually funded a
considerably more substantial honorarium from the Society to the editor - on
occasions this even included a car. I once did a calculation to compare
what we paid out to editors and societies for journals, compared with what
we paid to book authors and editors - the journals figure came out slightly
higher. In the case of medical journal editors, a formula was sometimes
used to calculate a fee equivalent to a set number of hospital 'sessions'.

Actually universities also tend to require not only reimbursement of office
costs, secretarial support and so on (which they used not to), but
additionally in many cases a fairly hefty percentage markup for overheads.

Sally

Sally Morris, Secretary-General
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK

Phone: 01903 871686 Fax: 01903 871457 E-mail: sec-gen_at_alpsp.org
ALPSP Website http://www.alpsp.org

Learned Publishing is now online, free of charge, at
www.learned-publishing.org