Re: SEPTEMBER98-FORUM Digest - 4 Dec 2002 to 9 Dec 2002 (#2002-212)

From: Barry Mahon <mahons1_at_eircom.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:41:14 -0000

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 07:50:26 -0500
>From: "Thomas J. Walker" <tjw_at_UFL.EDU>
>Subject: Market outlook for STM publishers
>
>In case you want to know what Morgan Stanley market analysts think of
>investing in STM publishing, read this:
>
>http://www.biblio-tech.com/uksg/SI_PD.cfm?PID=10&ArticleID=469
>
>Of course, they were probably pushing Enron and WorldCom not too long ago.

One interesting item in there is the prediction that electronic delivery will free up
resources to buy more content (i.e. good prospects for STM publishers). At the
Online Conference in London last week a session on scholarly publishing seemed
to show that this was not the case. The problem seems to be that we are
increasingly recycling the same money, to buy journals, pay people like BioMed
Central and/or set up archives, there is no new money. One consequence, no
money (and maybe no incentive) to look at permanent availability, preservation of
the record.

Barry Mahon, Executive Director, ICSTI