Re: Free or open journal management software?

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 12:28:59 +0000

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 [identity removed] wrote:

> xxxx suggested that I contact you for information about starting
> an online journal. He said that you are involved in developing software
> for online journals. As part of my xxxx-funded
> project, I intend to set up an online journal concerned with teaching
> xxxx, especially with the use of student-participation
> experiments.
>
> I would very much appreciate any information you can provide.

SPARC maintains a list of online jouurnal software resources:
?page=h16

In addition, the Eprints.org free institutional archiving software
http://www.eprints.org/software.php
has already been modified by at least two journals I know of for use
with an online journal:

http://www.bbsonline.org/
and
http://psycprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/

and Mike Jewell and Chris Gutteridge are currently working
on making the Eprints.org software directly parametrizable for
use by online journals (refereeing, commentary, archiving,
alerting).

There are also plans underway for extending Eprints.org to
data-archiving, which might be useful for online data-gathering
research.

Best of luck with your new journal.

the American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01 & 02):

                            or
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html

Discussion can be posted to: american-scientist-open-access-forum_at_amsci.org

See also the Budapest Open Access Initiative:
    http://www.soros.org/openaccess

the Free Online Scholarship Movement:
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/timeline.htm

the OAI site:
    http://www.openarchives.org

and the free OAI institutional archiving software site:
    http://www.eprints.org/