Re: Need for systematic scientometric analyses of open-access data

From: Imre Simon <is_at_IME.USP.BR>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 12:16:07 -0200

In my mind the need for systematic scientometric data for the
open-access literature and also for the OAI-compliant literature as
well as the whole literature is unquestionable.

I wonder whether a significant first step should not be an effort to
have more open-access journals act as OAI-compliant data providers?

I have the impression that many of the 3.000 open-access journals are
*not* OAI data providers. If they made such a move one would have
300.000 openly accessible full text peer-reviewed articles every year
in the OAI system and that would be a very interesting starting point
for the scientometric time-series.

Would it be feasible to ask BOAI to undertake such a campaign? After
all this would be just a bridge between BOAI-1 and BOAI-2.

Or am I wrong in my hypothesis?

Cheers,

Imre Simon

By the way, SciELO Brazil has 93 open access full text peer-reviewed
(brazilian) journals on the Internet:

  http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_alphabetic&lng=en&nrm=iso