Re: Distance Learning and Copyright

From: Charles Oppenheim <C.Oppenheim_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 15:14:52 -0000

The UK Higher Education Funding Councils and UUK (representing
vice-chancellors/principals/rectors of UK Universities) is about to publish
guidelines on copyright ownership in e-learning materials. These include
recommendations for contractual clauses of employment between staff and
universities on this very topic.

I have to say, though, that I find it hard to see what the problem is here.
The doctrine of work for hire in the USA (as I understand it) and copyright
law in the UK is that if someone ids in paid employment to do a particular
task, then the employer owns the copyright in what is being created. This
seems to me to be equitable. What is more contentious is if the employer
sells the distance learning material and makes a lot of money from it, then
the member(s) of staff involved in its creation should get some payment
above their salaries.

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Department of Information Science