Re: Nature's vs. Science's Embargo Policy

From: Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:32:39 -0000

Every information system has to be paid for somehow, since it has
unavoidable costs. The only way that you can (appear to) charge nobody is
to have some kind of operating subsidy from somewhere. In discussion and
analysis, it is helpful, in my view, to make a clear distinction between
systems that charge the creator of the information and systems that charge
the reader (or their respective institutions, of course). So I find the
rather negative comment below a bit unhelpful.

Fytton Rowland.