Re: Nature's vs. Science's Embargo Policy

From: Jan Velterop <jan_at_BIOMEDCENTRAL.COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 21:42:04 -0000

 Mark,

The actual price per article is very much dependent on the scale and
efficiency of the operation, given that so much of the cost is fixed (the
system) or quasi-fixed (staff). The $500 per article of BMC is based on
assumptions of scale which we believe are achievable within a reasonable
amount of time. These assumptions are ambitious, but not overly so. There is
a lower limit to those economies of scale, though, because of basic
technical and production costs and the like, and that lower limit now seems
to be under $500, but only just. This may change over time (in either
direction, I might add), but is unlikely to result in costs that are
massively lower or higher.

For now, the fee per article is only charged per published article (at least
at BMC). That still is a (pragmatic) inconsistency in the input-paid model
that eventually needs to be addressed, either by charging a higher fee
proportional in some way with the rejection rate of a journal, or a
non-refundable portion of the per article charge even if the article is
rejected.

Jan Velterop
BioMed Central