Re: Journal expenses and publication costs

From: Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:09:55 -0000

This kind of response is characteristic of those whose thinking is
insufficiently radical. The way things have always been is no guide to what
happens in a paradigm shift.

The proposed "author's-institution -pays" model is not simply a continuation
of old-fashioned page charges. It is a totally new way of financing
scholarly communication, in which university libraries do not have to pay
for journals. A great many academics (not only in psychology) have not yet
understood this. Will they have to wait until their library cannot afford
*any* journals in their discipline before they grasp the point?

Fytton Rowland, Loughborough University, UK..