Re: Are "Open Access Reprints" a Unique Service?

From: Thomas J. Walker <tjw_at_UFL.EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:06:49 -0500

At 05:45 PM 1/30/2003 +0100, Michael Jost wrote:
>Some of the journals in The Electronic Library of Mathematics (ELibM)
>http://www.emis.de/journals/index.html
>offer similar benefits, however, I'm not aware that one of them
>charges authors with a fee for that.
>
>So I think you cannot truthfully tell the ESA president that ESA's
>service is unique.

I am interested in knowing if ESA is the only publisher that offers authors
the _option_ of paying for immediate open access [to PDF files of articles
in its paper-published journals].

 From 1994 through 2000, Florida Entomologist gave open access to all its
authors . Since that time it has charged _all_ authors a fee for the
service (no option). Both of these means of providing open access differ
significantly from what ESA is doing.

Tom Walker

Thomas J. Walker
Department of Entomology & Nematology
PO Box 110620 (or Natural Area Drive)
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
E-mail: tjw_at_ufl.edu (or tjwalker_at_mail.ifas.ufl.edu)
FAX: (352)392-0190
Web: http://csssrvr.entnem.ufl.edu/~walker/