Re: Self-Archiving Refereed Research vs. Self-Publishing Unrefereed Research

From: Tim Brody <tdb01r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:37:46 +0000

The authors of the putative proof of the Riemann Hypothesis
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/0208221
(For citations and UK downloads, see:
http://citebase.eprints.org/cgi-bin/citations?id=oai:arXiv.org:hep-th/0208221)
have also written a couple of other papers prior to this on the same
topic:
http://arXiv.org/abs/hep-th/0009014
(Citations and UK downloads from Citebase, see:
http://citebase.eprints.org/cgi-bin/citations?id=oai:arXiv.org:hep-th/0009014)
and
http://arXiv.org/abs/hep-th/0107266
(Citations and UK downloads from Citebase:
http://citebase.eprints.org/cgi-bin/citations?id=oai:arXiv.org:hep-th/0107266)

http://arXiv.org/abs/hep-th/0009014 is listed as published
in the journal Chaos Solitons Fractals
See Scirus:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O5AE620B3
For other links see Paracite:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y21E230B3

Dramatic research that is incorrect, quackery or not, either disappears
unnoticed, or, if noticed, is exposed to much greater scrutiny than the
limited peer-review that publication requires. The self-corrective
nature of science is helped rather than hindered by open access - any
and all can judge for themselves.

Regardless, anyone who relies on slashdot hyperbole or the journalistic
press for their scientific information would be foolish indeed - I'm sure
arXiv.org users don't.

All the best,
Tim.

    [Moderator's Note: One of the references cited by the authors is
    a paper by Andrew Odlyzko, who is on this list; perhaps Andrew
    can give us his view of this putative proof, and of the general
    likelihood of uncorrected errors persisting and compromising further
    research? -- SH]