Re: Interoperability - subject classification/terminology

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:06:44 -0500

Stevan, I agree with your conclusion-- it would be both confusing and
wasteful to develop local elaborate classification schemes.

As for the more specific difficulties of access you simply do not appear
realize how difficult much of this can be in practice, especially to
beginners.
My journal examples were meant to indicate the difficulty of classifying
even roughly papers in those disciplines, not just journals.
Resolving journal names with a fuzzy match will work -- 95% of the
time.
A good library intends to locate and retrieve not 95%, but 100%,
and can usually accomplish 98 or 99 % for journal articles.
(Considerably less for informally published items, depending on area.
Google and other citation-indexed based systems are very good, but not
that good.

Actually, there is a partial solution to locating known items
that we both know about:
to eliminate primary reliance on journal names,
indexes, and so forth and go with links and DOIs. The real difficulty
comes
when you want to identify items that you haven't already known about.

There is a certain tendency that we all have to underestimate other
peoples' problems.

--
Dr. David Goodman
Princeton University Library