Re: Draft IFLA Manifesto on Open Access

From: Jan Velterop <jan_at_BIOMEDCENTRAL.COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:36:58 +0100

I very much welcome the IFLA manifesto. Of course, the wording could be
improved, as everything can always be improved, and that's exactly why a
draft was sent out. Of course IFLA takes a library view and not purely an
author-one, and that is reflected in the points of their manifesto. That it
should be 'doomed to fail' is unnecessarily gloomy and unwarranted. The
sheer fact that the IFLA puts its name under a manifesto expressing
commitment to open access is highly significant.

Clearly, maximum research impact is the goal. Also of IFLA. Because academic
authors are not the only agents in the game. Authors may 'decide' to 'give
away' their papers, but is it truly 'giving away' and is it solely up to
them? Or are they 'giving' their papers away in the way a company 'gives'
away their advertisements? Authors *need* to 'give' away their papers for
the sake of their careers. They do not 'give' away, but they are (rightly)
being rewarded, albeit in the currency of impact, not money. Because the
currency of impact, not money, 'buys' them career progress. Their papers
also include an account of research done and a justification of resources
spent (their papers being 'the minutes' of their research). Doesn't that
give the funder and facilitator (the university or research institute) a say
in the matter? At least potentially? Their reputations also benefit from
research impact, after all. They are in a position to make a material
difference to the way open access is progressing. The IFLA manifesto may be
more successful in influencing funders and institutions than earlier
author-oriented manifestoes have been, for the simple reason that it comes
from IFLA.

Jan Velterop