Re: EPrints, DSpace or ESpace?

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:50:03 -0400

I can testify personally to one of the strong disincentives, though it
sounds trivial.
I work in an old version of MS Word, which I have customized
extensively with the equally archaic program Word Basic, and I find the
result convenient. The version I use does not automatically make pdfs. I
do have Acrobat; I am also aware I could upgrade to a newer version of
Word.
But apparently the pdfs produced this way do not have full functionality
in ArXiV-like systems (for example, that the source url does not
overprint in the margins the way it does for papers written in TeX.)
Although I have some experience with many of each, I would as soon
change my preferred word processing program as my browser or my email.

Any commercial publisher will gladly take my .doc files and convert
them. ArXiV and similar OAI programs will not. It is more important to
me to write conveniently than to support a particularly inconvenient
version of archiving. I'll contribute to OAI archives when they
accommodate me. To the best of my knowledge, a great many people in the
academic world feel the same.

If there are improvements forthcoming, I'd be glad to hear of them.

--
Dr. David Goodman
Princeton University Library